WYBSL's Big Diamond Program
WYBSL's Big Diamond Program offers programs for U11 baseball through U18 baseball:
The Board of Directors encourage you to review the League Code of Conduct on the WYBSL web site as it pertains to coaches, players, and fans.
We are looking forward to a safe and enjoyable baseball season.
In the Spring of 2015, the U11/U12 Division will combine the players that previously played in separate U11 and U12 divisions. The U11/U12 Division is a developmental league focused on the principles of improving a player’s baseball fundamentals, skills and knowledge of the game while promoting good sportsmanship, team play and fun through a supervised program of competitive baseball.
Our primary goal for the league is for the players to have an opportunity to have fun while they learn and enjoy playing baseball. Coaches will assist in the players understanding of the game, stressing the learning of baseball fundamentals and the development of core skills.
The U11/U12 program is the most competitive of our baseball divisions that play on the little league size field. The competitive nature is slightly higher than the previous U11 division, where live baseball is stressed for the first time, umpires are used, scores are recorded and team standings are maintained. All players are ensured to participate in all games at various positions on the field.
The division follows a modified version of the Cal Ripken Baseball rules. All teams make the playoffs and a single or double elimination tournament provides a champion and runner-up at the conclusion of the season.
Note: Due to limited field availability, the U11/U12 teams may hold some or all practices on Sundays.
Big Diamond information for U11 and U12 Parents: PDF file on big diamond programs competitive and recreatial for all seasons.
(U15/13) Babe Ruth Division
In the spring of 2005, WYBSL restructured the Babe Ruth division. The Babe Ruth division was split into two separate divisions, a Westford in-town division and the Minute Man Travel division. Note: Players may NOT play in both divisions.
Here are some of the differences in the two divisions:
Minute Man Travel Baseball Division (13 to 15 year olds)
- Higher level of competition involving middle school & high school freshman players. Faster pitching, stronger hitting and more demanding fielding skills are all part of this division.
- Travel to 6 different towns, playing games every Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Strong commitment required by the players and parents for making all the games at all the towns.
- 3-4 days per week commitment to the team for practices and games.
- There were 5 teams total last spring, with 12 players per team. Each coach will draft a team from the pool of Minute Man registered players. Those players who are registered but not drafted will be automatically put into the draft for the Westford in-town division or will remain on their current in-town team. Placement on a Travel Team is not guaranteed. Players not drafted can register for the travel division again the following year.
- Each year teams draft replacement players for the exiting players from the division. The coaches will draft players from the Westford in-town division (all ages) and the previous season 6th grade majors - who register for the Minute Man travel division.
- Teams will remain together year after year.
- Registrations must be received by February 15th in order to play in this division.
Westford In-Town Division (13 to 15 year olds)
- Less intense competition. Moderate pitching & hitting with more general fielding skills required for this division.
- All games will be played on one of three Westford fields. Games will be mostly played during the week, with a few games on the weekend.
- 2 to 3 days per week commitment to the team for practices and games. All players registered for this division are drafted, along with those players that are not drafted into the Minute Man travel division. All players are eligible to sign up for the Minute Man Draft the following year if they choose to do so.
- Coaches will draft replacement players each year from the previous season 6th grade majors division.
- Teams remain together year after year.
We look forward to seeing you in our program during the spring of 2009. Our goal is to provide the opportunity for all Westford teenagers to play baseball in an environment and atmosphere that they are most comfortable with. Having two different levels of competition and commitment will help us meet that goal.